Into the Meadows
Shangarh, Kullu, Himanchal Pradesh
Rich and vibrant meadows are not all that common for the Himalayas, which makes our Zostel Home in Shangarh all the more special. Standing alone amidst a wide expanse of forested mountains, the Home is dipped thoroughly in scenic beauty and a meditative quiet air. From its windows all across, sunrises and sunsets are easy to catch, and so are the sounds of melodious birds and little kids playing nearby. A vast common area invites you to play games with your gang or spend hours gazing out of the hammock. And the bonfire area in the garden helps you end your evening on the perfect note. Stay options include comfy dorm rooms and awe-inspiring private rooms. Both come with great views and a cozy night’s sleep. Giving that final fulfilling touch to your holiday are the ravishing in-house meals, the kind that keeps both your belly and the heart full.
HIGHLIGHTS AND ACTIVITIES
The Great Himalayan National Park: Preserving a bountiful diversity of flora, fauna, and local communities, the Great Himalayan National Park is an ecozone recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. One of the largest National Parks of India, it houses a delightful number of exotic birds and animals, along with many charming little villages. Shangarh is one such village in the ecozone of GHNP, which serves as a base to start your treks into the core zone of GHNP. These treks include Dhel Meadows, Shumga Thatch and Raktisar trek ranging from 5 to 9 nights in duration. Should you be interested in a trek, our hosts will help you out with all permissions related to it.
Village Walk and Hikes Places of interest in and around Shangarh include the Barshangarh waterfall and the mesmerising Shangarh Meadows. The meadows house a revered temple called Shangchul Mahadev, which showcases old Himachali architecture with its exceptional art of wooden carving. On the way towards the Shangarh falls, the villages of Goshati and Darari are also explore-worthy. If you start early, a long walk further leads to the idyllic Lapah village, which offers mesmerising views and a glimpse into rural life.
Day Trips If you love taking a drive around the green valleys, head to the Twin Towers and the Raila Waterfalls for a scenic getaway. Moreover, the Tirthan Valley is a 2-hour drive from Shangarh. Set by the Tirthan river, the villages of Gushaini and Banjar offer spectacular valley views, whereas Jibhi is popular amongst backpackers for its chic cafes and hike-worthy surroundings. For day trips taxi is available at the Home and you can enquire with the hosts for more information.
Treks in the ecozone A popular one-day trek takes you to Jangaon Thatch, an ecozone, as you cross thick forests and pleasant grasslands. An additional two days on this route takes you to Thini Thatch and the Pundrik Lake on a trail crossing forests of Pine trees, beautiful birds, and rustic small villages.
Recreational Activities If sitting back is more like your kind of a holiday, Shangarh draws many ornithophiles for across the country for a fulfilling birdwatching experience. If you are lucky, you may spot the enchanting Western Tragopan or the iridescent Monal, along with the Ultramarine flycatcher, Common Rosefinch, and the Long-tailed Minivet. On the other hand, nightfall brings with it a luminescent sky full of stars, making stargazing a travellers’ favourite thing to do in Shangarh during the night. If you are willing to go a little further away, Trout fishing is another activity popular in the Tirthan river near Banjar.
Common hangout area
HOW TO REACH
By car/taxi- Follow the Delhi-Manali highway until you reach the Aut Tunnel. Take the right turn towards the Sainj-Neuli road without crossing the tunnel. Then follow the link road towards Shangarh from just ahead of the Ropa Forest Complex. By bus- Take any bus going towards Manali and get down at the Aut Tunnel before crossing it. From this point, Shangarh is approximately 28 km away. Here, take the bus going towards Sainj. From Sainj, there is only one bus that runs to Shangarh, which leaves at 4 PM. So, we advise you to adjust your travel plans accordingly. By train- The nearest railway station is the Joginder Nagar Railway Station, approximately 120 km from Shangarh. You can opt for a bus or a taxi for the journey ahead. By air- The closest airport in the vicinity of Shangarh is the Kullu Airport, 47 km away. You can opt for a private taxi (around INR 3700) or board a bus from Bhuntar if you are budget-traveling. Note: Online maps are hardly reliable in the valley. Don’t hesitate to call the property for directions. You will receive the relevant contact details along with your booking confirmation voucher.
AREA - Shangarh, Kullu
Falling on the outskirts of the Great Himalayan National Park, the Sainj Valley is densely populated with forest greens, exotic birds, and charming mountain views. Shangarh falls in an ecological area and thus, you will find yourself embracing Nature at its purest when here. While the valley is known for its several religious sites, what remains unexplored are its many winding nature trails.
LOCATION - Zostel Homes Shangarh (Kullu)
Zostel Home Shangarh drifts away from the bustle of nearby towns and you find yourself gazing at a mesmerizing mountainscape here. The area is extremely green and full of chirping birds, offering a terrific opportunity for birdwatching and stargazing.
Exact location information is provided after a booking is confirmed.
- Please carry valid government IDs and the booking voucher at the time of your check-in.
- Smoking is not allowed in indoor spaces. Guests may resort to designated smoking areas or open areas for the same.
- Consumption of alcohol is only accepted in the Home if done responsibly and in allotted areas only. Drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited in open areas anywhere outside of the property limits, owing to the local religious sentiments. Strict actions shall be taken if there is any breach of this rule.
- All the food served will be home-cooked. Self-cooking is not allowed. Any special request regarding food or facilities needs to be intimated in advance.
- The Home offers the facility of accommodating drivers in an adjoining building at 500 INR per day.
- No room or luggage services shall be provided at the property.
- Nature and surroundings as well as the sentiments of the locals should always be respected and taken care of. Since you will be staying in an ecological area, it is crucial that you maintain silence after 10 PM.
- Pets are allowed at this Zostel Home, but don’t forget to carry your pooch’s bedding.
- The check-in time is 1 PM, check-out time is 11 AM, and the breakfast time is 7.30 to 10 AM. Guests are requested to respect and follow the check-in, check-out, and meal timings set by the hosts.
- Shangarh Meadows is a place of religious importance where alcoholism, camping, and any adventure activities are restricted. Kindly read the instructions and respect the sentiments of locals.
HOSTED By Ravi Palsara
This Zostel Home in the meadow town is hosted by Ravi Palsara and his loving family, who are all residents of Shangarh. Ravi is a young trekking enthusiast with ample information and stories of the area. He arranges guided treks into the ecozone of GHNP. Along with the youth of the village, Ravi is making continuous efforts to keep the area plastic-free. Along with him, you will find caretakers at the Home, who cook exceptional and hearty meals. And mind you, these are the meals that will want you to stay even longer.