A Rustic Nest in the Mountains
Rumsu, Naggar, Himanchal Pradesh
A town that seems to have paused its reels in the ‘60s, Rumsu is an ode to the simpler times with its archaic vibe. People here still live in fragile wooden houses that appear to be almost made by hand for a fairy tale set. The food here is also just as simple, but manifold hearty and delicious. And as you can expect from a gravely offbeat village of Himachal Pradesh, Rumsu has pure & utterly charming views of the green Himalayas of the Kullu Valley. Our almost antediluvian and mostly wooden home in Rumsu sits on a small ridge, with green hills and the snow-capped Himalayas right across from it. The rooms here treat you with velvety beds and delectable views, private balconies and ample space to unwind. Come here for a simple, leisurely holiday focused at spending time with your loved ones or self and artistic exploration, for there’s little to do here but a lot to take in.
HIGHLIGHTS AND ACTIVITIES
Take a walk in the villages: Take a walk through the miniscule villages of Rumsu & Pulag to get in touch with the small-town culture of Himachal Pradesh. You can also check out the quaint little Nicholas Roerich Art Gallery as you go.
Go for a trek Hike to the Chanderkhani basecamp or go all the way for the Chanderkhani Pass trek (2N, 3D), which begins in Rumsu and takes you to Malana.
Explore Naggar A town that was once the capital of Kullu District, Naggar has a couple of sites to visit like the Naggar Castle, Tripura Sundri Temple, and a Himalayan Folk Art museum along with its own share of temples and monasteries. Just a 20-minute drive from Rumsu, it makes for a good half-day or even full-day trip.
Common Hangout Area
HOW TO REACH
• By Bus: Reach Naggar, from where the Home is 6 km and can be reached by a taxi. Another option is to reach Patlikuhal by any outstation bus. From there, you can take a private or shared taxi or a local bus to Rumsu, which is 9.5 km away. • By Air: The nearest is Kullu Airport which is located 37 km away. A taxi from there will cost around INR 500-1000. Alternately, you can take an HRTC bus. • By Train: The nearest railway station is Chandigarh, 286 km away. A taxi from there will cost around INR 4000 - 4500. Alternately, you can take a bus from Chandigarh to Kullu and then follow the above instructions.
AREA - Rumsu, Naggar
Rumsu is a charming little village near Naggar in the Kullu region of Himachal Pradesh. The houses here are a perfect representation of the old Himachali architecture. With darkened wood and intricately carved elements, they are rustic in the truest sense. The region is cold and the weather remains a little chilly in the summers while winters here witness snowfall. Rumsu also serves as the base camp for the Chanderkhani Pass and Malana Village Treks.
LOCATION - Zostel Homes Rumsu (Naggar/Kullu/Manali)
Kullu has a magnetic charm as the River Beas flows through the valley amidst snow-capped peaks, thick forests, beautiful meadows, and vast grasslands. Kullu also holds ancient Pagoda architecture, with its earthquake-resistant houses standing here since centuries.
Exact location information is provided after a booking is confirmed.
- Nature and surroundings should always be respected and taken care of.
- The area will have to be kept noise-free post 10 pm.
- Any special request regarding food or facilities needs to be intimated in advance.
- All the food served will be home-cooked.
- No room or luggage services will be provided at the property.
- Drinking and smoking are prohibited inside the property. Guests are requested to resort to the open areas for the same.
- Extra Bedding is subject to availability. Please call the property prior to your arrival to confirm the same. Cost of extra bedding - INR 500 per person. Children below the age of 10 can be accommodated for free.
HOSTED By Om Prakash
A resident of the village itself, Mr. Om Prakash is an orchardist and an adventure enthusiast. He organises treks to the Chanderkhani Pass and Malana treks from Rumsu along with his two brothers.